Every doctor is obliged to save patients, afterall its their call of duty. And what happened in Russia went viral after the doctors and nurses stayed behind to do an open heart surgery for a patient even though the hospital in Blagoveshchensk caught fire and was evacuated.
This incident went viral on social media because tge staff stayed there and risking their lives to save the patient’s. The scale of fire needed 59 firefighters to extinguish it due to electrical malfunction and took several hours, while no one was injured, according to Russian Emergencies Ministry.
Over 120 people were evacuated from the hospital, of which 67 are patients, including those who have recently undergone heart surgery, the ministry added.
In the operating room, there was a patient that was undergoing a coronary artery bypass grafting on the first floor when the fire was first noticed on the hospital roof, 1TV reported. But the team didn’t stop and continued to work on the patient even after the firefighters alerted them.
Valentin Filatov, head of the surgical department of the cardiac surgery center said: “There is nowhere to go, the man had to be saved. We did everything at the highest level, as they say”.
The operation obviously can’t be stopped, so the responders laid an electric cable for power supply in the operating room as smoked entered the operating room.
Konstantin Rybalko, Deputy Head of the Main Directorate of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation in the Amur Region said: “compressed air devices were brought to readiness to provide doctors with a complex operation”.
Despite the odds, they successfully finished the procedure and shifted the operated patient to the regional hospital.
The Governor of the Amur Region Vasily Orlov announced a reward to the doctors, as SeverInform reported.